Georgia Virtual School Teacher Certification Requirements
Out-of-State Certified Teachers
- possess a valid, Georgia teaching certificate
- be certified in the appropriate subject area for the job posting
- complete Effective Online Teaching course (formerly known as TOOL)
Do you hold a valid, teaching certificate from another state? Visit the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (www.gapsc.com
) for further information about attaining a Georgia teaching certificate. For more information about interstate reciprocity, visit http://www.gapsc.com/certification/documents/traditional_routes.asp
Requirements for Teaching
Teachers need to have excellent computer skills and be prepared to spend more timeonline with students, teaching and directing learning than in a typical face-to-face classroom. Teachers will be required to complete a training program hosted by Georgia Virtual School. This training includes instruction on the pedagogy of virtual learning and the technical aspects of the online platform. Teachers are also provided with hands-on experiences and mentoring from veteran online instructors.
Please note: Completion of the training program does not guarantee a teaching assignment. Teaching and other assignments are determined by program enrollment and needs at the discretion of the GAVS administration. Assignments are communicated to teachers several weeks prior to the beginning of each semester.
Adjunct Teacher Pay
Adjunct teachers are paid through the Georgia Department of Education on a per student basis each semester.
• ½ Carnegie unit course - $130/student
• ½ Carnegie unit AP course - $155/student
• 1 Carnegie unit course (block) - $260/student
• 1 Carnegie unit AP course (block) - $310/student