The Georgia Virtual School provides opportunities and options for Georgia students to engage in Advanced Placement, college preparatory, career and technical courses, and other electives online to enhance their learning experiences.
Local schools must provide students access to an Internet connected computer. If the student is taking the course off campus at home, the school must verify that access is present. Schools must also provide a school facilitator who will act as a liaison between the local school and Georgia Virtual School. Facilitators approve all courses that a student requests to take with Georgia Virtual School. A final requirement for participation in the program is the school has to agree to accept and transcribe the students' grades at the end of the semester. GA Virtual School does not grant credit.
Every school has a local facilitator. In addition to getting the students approved and into their courses, facilitators have the following responsibilities:
- Work with the local technical support people to be sure that computers meet the technical requirements and that all additional software needed is downloaded.
- Review student course history and verify that course selection is appropriate.
- Send copies of any special documentation regarding student needs to the GAVS office.
- Agree to make sure credit is assigned and transcribed on the student's school record.
- Schedule required Georgia Milestone End of Course Assessments or Advanced Placement exams.
- Work with students through the registration process to make sure enrollment is completed.
Many school districts struggle with the best way to incorporate online learning into their current policies and practices. Click HERE
for more specific information about how to utilize GaVS in your school.
Private School Milestone EOC Assessment Information
Private School students who enroll in one of the state mandated End of Course Assessment courses are not required to take the assessment. All private school students will take the final exam for all GaVS courses.