Georgia Virtual School provides accommodations in the online environment for students with an IEP, 504 plan, ESL Plan, or Hospital Homebound status. In order to have accommodations implemented in an online class, Georgia Virtual School must receive a current copy of the student's individualized plan or hospital homebound paperwork each semester the student enrolls in a Georgia Virtual School class.
The current plan/documentation should be uploaded to the student profile by the GaVS facilitator or emailed in by the parents of homeschool students. Georgia Virtual School staff will work with the local school to determine if placement is appropriate. In some instances, accommodations listed in an individualized plan are not conducive to the online environment.
to view the special needs policies.
Our online courses are developed in a way which naturally provides many of the supports commonly identified in individualized plans, such as:
- a flexible work environment, with a biweekly due date
- pacing schedules outlining daily tasks to keep students and organized and on pace to meet their biweekly due date
- monitoring of individual student progress by teacher, facilitator, and parent
- personalized and descriptive feedback for all student work
- opportunities for differentiated instruction based on a variety of learning styles
- one-on-one access to the teacher
- opportunities to preview course content
- ability to work in a quiet environment with limited distractions
- access to review activities and/or study guides
- ability to plan and prepare for upcoming assessments